We are going GREEN!
The Fleet mission is to sustain a venue that provides easy access to the water and inspire a lifelong love of sailing and boating, while respecting the rugged beauty of Maine and supporting the community.
The Green Initiative strives to enhance this mission, and to inspire all Fleet members, young and old, to promote and embrace a culture of environmental awareness. The waters of Mount Desert Island and Gilpatrick Cove need our protection.
A small group of dedicated members have formed a Green Team to bring sustainability to Gilpatrick Cove. Inspired by Sailors for the Sea and their standards for clean regattas and sustainable operations, we’re taking steps to make The Fleet clean and green. In 2017, we will be transitioning to reusable water bottles, glasses, and dinnerware as well as implementing initiatives to reduce waste and lessen the environmental impact of our individual and collective actions. That’s right, we’re doing away with single-use plastics encouraging recycling and the responsible disposal of waste.
This is an important mission for Our Fleet; one that we hope will promote a culture of awareness and improved environmental consciousness. I invite you to join our efforts.
On behalf of the Green Team,
Mia Thompson, Rear Commodore
- Use reusable water bottles – by providing water bottle filling stations at the Fleet & Clifton Dock.
- Bring your food in reusable containers with responsible cutlery – no more plastic waste.
- Recycle beverage bottles and cans – proceeds from redeemables will benefit the Sailing School.
- Use our compost bin for food waste.
- Use only non-toxic cleaners.
- Use only environmentally friendly bottom paints.
- Ride your bike or carpool when coming to the Fleet.
- Pack in – Pack out: when on the water, nothing goes over the side.
We are asking you as a member of the Fleet to embrace these initiatives for the benefit of all.
Specific Objectives for 2017:
- Purchase and install water bottle filling stations at The Fleet and Clifton Dock.
- Purchase and install a commercial dishwasher and appropriate glasses and dinnerware at the Fleet House. Some modifications of the Kitchen/Galley will be needed to accommodate these improvements.
- Purchase and locate recycle, redeemable compost bins.
- Create policies to inform and instruct members, staff and students.
To reach all of our objectives we have developed a working budget of $25,000. Members of our Green Team have all pledged financial support, as have Flag Officers, and we have also received key early donations from membership. Now we need your help to reach our goal of $25,000 if we are to truly meet this challenge.
Please consider donating to this important effort so that we can be ready for this summer. Call or email any of us on the Green Team and we can answer any questions you may have. We hope that you will pledge what you can, or send a check made payable to: The NEH Fleet - with the memo line: Green Team Initiatives. Mail to: PO Box 462 Northeast Harbor, ME 04662
Thank you in advance for your contribution to this positive and important effort.
Fleet Green Team
Mia Thompson – Chair
John Roberts - Fleet Treasurer
Gordon Beck - Fleet Clerk
Fran Charles - Fleet Manager
Melissa Walls - Fleet Operations Manager
Sydney Roberts Rockefeller