All of these documents are available in a printed format inside the front door at the Northeast Harbor Fleet House or directly from Shearwater, the RC Signal Boat. Mark Descriptions and Race Area Charts are available laminated.
The Luders owners at Northeast Harbor Fleet, Southwest Harbor Fleet and Seal Harbor Yacht Club have joined to create a flourishing fleet of 41 boats, at least 30 of which are raced regularly. Luders for sale here.
The L16 is sloop-rigged sailboat. L stands for the designer,Alfred E. Luders, and sixteen is the waterline length of the boat. L16s are twenty-six feet long bow to stern and have a working sail area of 207 square feet.
Production wooden L16s were built in the 1950s by Luders Marine. The hulls were hot-molded from five one-eighth inch plys of mahogany. In the sixties and seventies, fiberglass reproductions were built by International Plastics Corporation, then by Midwest Marine and Easterly Yachts. In all, a little more than 300 were produced.
In 1930 Fishers Island Yacht Club was searching for a boat for the junior sailors. A. E. Luders, Sr. and Jr.—known as active racers and innovative designers of America's Cup contenders— were chosen to design and build a new one-design class for them. Rather than produce a chunky little boat similar to many others used by juniors, they based their design on the beautiful Six Metre. Fifteen L16s were built and raced at Fishers Island until a hurricane decimated the fleet. The surviving boats scattered, but the class grew as more people admired the elegant boats. Priced at $1950 the boats were affordable, and fleets grew rapidly in Chicacgo, Connecticut, New York, Maine, Louisiana, California and Bermuda. The Northeast Harbor Fleet members bought 37 Luders Class sailboats in 1947/48.