history

The Northeast Harbor Fleet was formed in 1923 to vigorously promote recreational boating and sailboat racing off the coast of Mount Desert Island. We have two locations for our members to use: The Fleet House at Gilpatrick Cove built in 1945, and Clifton Dock in Northeast Harbor, added in 1946 to provide additional moorings, dinghy tie-up, and fuel for boats. The Fleet Store, added in 2014 at Clifton Dock, stocks fleet apparel.

Our 400+ members enjoy the coast by powercraft, sailboat and rowboat, competing in races, and exploring the islands of downeast Maine. Young and old, from all parts of the USA and abroad, fleet members have come together each summer since 1923 to refresh their minds and bodies in the salty air.

The cure for anything is salt water — sweat, tears, or the sea.
— Isak Dinesen

Fleet by the numbers

  • 435 members from all over the world
  • 197 privately owned sailboats
  • 235 privately owned powerboats
  • 287 youth enrolled in sailing school
  • 140 days open
  • 135 moorings available
  • 104 private dinghies tied off
  • 44 members of MDIHS varsity sailing